Sunday, July 18, 2010

"All Joy and No Fun"...do parents really hate parenting?


A good friend, and fellow working mom, directed my attention to the article below from New York Magazine. Do you hate parenting? I wouldn't necessarily say I hate parenting. I think "hate" is too strong of a word to describe the emotionally exhausting, sleep depriving, stressful work that is only part of the act of raising children. I will say, however, that my patience for parenting sure has waned since the temperature here has risen above 105 and the dew point seems to be stuck at 55 degrees (that means it's humid here in the desert), thus keeping the kids inside and underfoot. Why don't they play together? ...Seriously..., I'm asking you all,... why won't they play together in their awesome play room?! My children are close in age -20 months apart. Many people told me when I was pregnant for the second time, so soon after my first baby, that it would be fine. They told me they would be each other's best friend. Well, they don't seem to be best friends yet - not even close. I can't leave them alone for more than 5 minutes without my daughter, the youngest, screaming in tears after my son has surely done something naughty to her. I witness them kicking, hitting, biting, and sitting on each other all the time. Tears are aplenty around here...most often it being the kids who are crying. On the other hand, my son is the only one who can make my daughter laugh...like real deep down belly laugh. It's those moments, and of course, many, many, many others that bring me the most joy and confirm that having kids is worth all the work...dark circles under my eyes included.

2 comments:

  1. As I listen to a little one SCREAMING, simply because she can, I find this blog a joy to read and the highlight to my morning. I don't even "dislike" parenting when I know that I'm not alone. There will be days when we will wish we had those messy little hands wrapped around our necks hugging us, and that smelly morning breath breathing in our face at 6 a.m. because they HAD to see us before our alarm clocks go off. So, bags under the eyes, stretch marks, and my dream of having a tummy tuck...So WORTH IT & LOVING IT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the kind words about the blog...I think it will be a fun project for me. Lauging about the bad breath comment and sign me up for a tummy tuck AND vericose vein treatment ! :-)

    ReplyDelete