Friday, June 17, 2011

Happy Father's Day!

A huge shout out to all the dad's this weekend...Have a fabulous Father's Day!


One summer day, while I was living at home with my parents - newly graduated and not trying too hard to find a job - I woke up early enough to have breakfast with my dad.  It was the middle of the week and the day was going to be one of those perfect summer days in Minnesota - just the right temperature, no clouds, no wind, not humid - a perfect day for boating on the Mississippi River, which was an outing only reserved for the weekends.  I suggested to my dad that he should play hookie from work and we could spend the day on the river...  He glanced over his paper and proceeded to lecture about how he was the owner of a successful business with employees that worked hard for him, etc, etc, and that in the "real working world", that he wished I would join sooner rather than later, you do not play hookie from work to go boating.  I got the hint and told him I would spend the day working on my resume and start looking for jobs.  He went off to work and I probably started surfing the net.  About thirty minutes later, the phone rang...it was my dad... he said, "pack up a cooler, we're going boating, pick you up in fifteen minutes."  I was thrilled - it really was the perfect day to be on the water and I know my dad really enjoyed it too.  It's a day I will always treasure.  Thank you, Dad! 

My husband is a great father and I hope that our kids have the same treasured memories of time spent with him.  For now, they are his little helpers, but soon enough they will be suggesting he play hookie from work to meet him for a round of golf.
Happy Father's Day, Dad!  Happy Father's Day, Matt!

Experts: Dads embracing active parenting more

No comments:

Post a Comment