Thursday, June 30, 2011

Blackberry on the backburner...I'm on vacation.

I am in Minnesota this week on vacation with my family.  It's been an easy week off of work so far since, I imagine, a lot of people are also out this week.  I was going to take the easy road and re-post an article on how to prepare your office while on vacation.  But, seriously, in today's business world, completely shutting down while on vacation is near to impossible.  I firmly believe that disconnecting to focus on relaxation while on vacation is very important and necessary - our technology tools, however, make it too tempting not to take a quick peek at what is going on while we are gone.  For this vacation, I prepared by leaving a very detailed out of office message of who to call for what while I was away.  I let my backups know that I would be checking emails at the end of every day and forwarding emails and addressing urgent messages only.  I also set my cell phone to only ring when I received a call- the constant "ding" of an email, text, or facebook message arriving in my inbox would be too tempting not to check.  I've been reading a lot about "detoxing from technology"... there was even a week in April designated "Digital Detox Week"... I wonder how long we could go without looking at our smartphones, emails, or facebook...?  While I've been very good about not checking work emails on my trip, I am still checking and posting on facebook, reading my favorite blogs, writing this blog, and a "summer vacation" blog....  How long could you go?  Read Joanne Tombrakos' account of her seven-day tech detox diet, from Forbes.com:

"The Seven-Day Tech Detox Diet" by Joanne Tombrakos

1 comment: