Friday, May 20, 2011

Taking A Compliment...

"Cute shoes!"
"These...?  I got them for $20 at Payless."

"You are a great rep, thank you for running these samples over so quickly."
"It's no big deal, it's my job."

"That dress looks great on you."
"Oh my gosh, I made it...I think it hangs longer on the left side...don't look too close at the seams."
This is a challenge to all of you out there who do this, including me...  STOP IT! Let's stop devaluing ourselves and demeaning those who give us compliments by learning to graciously accept them.  Whose with me?  Let's practice now...

"Cute shoes!"
"Thank you!"
"You are a great rep, thank you for running these samples over today."
"Thank you, I appreciate hearing that."
 "That dress looks great on you."
"Thank you, I recently learned to sew and made it myself."

Another good article by Karina Bland, from the Arizona Republic...


"Regardless of why I dodge compliments, I'm sending the wrong message. I'm trying to appear humble, but, instead, it probably makes me look less confident in myself and my abilities. And here's the thing: I am a persuasive person. If I keep this up, I could actually convince people that I'm not as great as they think I am, that it was some sort of fluke that I pulled off that outfit, that meal or that story, not because I have the talent or did the work."...Karina Bland


Click on the link for the entire article:  Taking A Compliment...

2 comments:

  1. i always share more than i should after someone hands me a compliment. it's always much more simplistic and people probably prefer it that you just say "thank you!" this is a GREAT reminder, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. such great advice... I need to remember to say a simple, "thank you". I always catch myself giving out way too many details and explanantions.

    ReplyDelete